The day I met an illegal immigrant

786020-asylum-seekers

He sat with us on the bus and he was very nice. Friendly. Talked with us for over an hour. He listened to my children chatter away, and told me he missed his many siblings, and how wonderful it is to travel with kids. He planned to do it one day.

He was a backpacker like me .

But an illegal immigrant none-the-less.

He’d been in Australia a long time since his tourist visa expired. He was British. And he looked a bit like this:

IMG_4803

This guy was earning at least $250 a day cash. He picked fruit and sold it under-the-counter and at the back door of shops and restaurants. This guy was not some abused underpaid, non-English speaking person being taken advantage of like these people. No, he was a clever, English speaking bloke, with enough charm to knowingly rort  the system.

“$250 a day! That’s a lot of money’ he said proudly to my 10 year old, Tintin.

He paid no tax to the Australian government.

‘I’m just going to stay on’  he said. ‘No one cares, everyone does it, and you never get caught.”

He’s an illegal immigrant.

***

Meanwhile the Australian government has locked up over 1000 children in prison indefinitely because they had the courage to flee for their lives. They are NOT illegal immigrants. And they look exactly like this:

1395883_622906084414208_790538131_n

1150803_597984096906407_927848908_n

1379293_614894221882061_971456777_n

995892_619155061455977_669252553_n

refugees_fence

r465201_2303764

images

Does anyone else think our government is barking up the wrong tree?

These people have escaped from countries when you get shot for speaking up in public. Well, here in Australia we have freedom of speech.

Wanna see me use it?

PRIME MINISTER ABBOTT AND IMMIGRATION MINISTER   MORRISON

WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WRONG!

IT’S ILLEGAL

IT’S CRUEL.

AND IT’S INCREDIBLY DAMAGING TO CHILDREN

YOU GOTTA GET THOSE KIDS OUT OF THERE!

Don’t agree with me?

Read a bit more

523502_603826519655498_1208320237_n

11 Responses to The day I met an illegal immigrant

1. Yvette November 8, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

As an American, I know that all Western countries have issues with illegal immigration (we of course have our own), but I was absolutely floored when I heard Australia is against asylum-seekers, not just people who show up wanting to work illegally or what have you. People who flee their home countries do so because they fear for their lives, not because they think there’s better stuff on TV.

I suppose what I also find odd is I’ve never met an Australian who supports this, so I’m not sure just who those people are that the government still thinks it’s a priority over there. If you have any thoughts on that I would be interested to hear it.
    Yvette recently posted..As Seen in Astronomy MagazineMy Profile

• Jill November 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Hi Yvette!!
      Unfortunately there are plenty of Australian who believe the fearmongering. The current government is the most hardline we’ve ever had and the media is spinning all manner of tales.

2. Aunty deb November 9, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Yes I do agree. But there are always two sides to every coin.

3. Barbara November 9, 2013 at 10:25 am #

The most sickening thing is that ALL Australians are boat people/asylum seekers. Even the original inhabitants came by boat. Australia as a nation was built by criminals and people who came here seeking a better life. And now there IS a good life in Australia, we as a nation have shut the door. It’s the worst kind of snobbery and injustice. And the sad fact of life is that the majority of Australians support the no boat people policies and that’s why they elected the current government.
    Barbara recently posted..A Vietnamese Cooking Class (With Handsome French Foodies)My Profile

4. Mihai November 9, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Very nice article! Very nice pictures. A while ago I used to think like you (and I still agree with what you’re saying). But then I heard a comment somewhere and got me thinking, there is no right way to fix an immigration policy, the only right way is to leave people move completely free, work and stay wherever they want and like for however long they want. There really is no good argument against a “policy” like that… Have fun with Mr. Abbott. Maybe the absurdity of the Australian immigration policy would make more people think like me :-)
    We miss you!
    Mihai recently posted..Noi6 Around-the-World: Greek IslandsMy Profile

5. Margaret | Destination Here&Now November 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Makes you proud to be Australian and yes that’s sarcasm. grrr
    Margaret | Destination Here&Now recently posted..It’s ok. I thought I was dead. But then it turned out I was just 74.My Profile

6. Lisa Wood November 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Its not a good situation all round, yet its not an easy solution. As a Mum to two sons in the Navy who have to work with the system I see and hear about stories behind the media scene.
    And its not pretty.
    But what’s the solution?
    And to the Backpacker who is from England….when I was 18 I went to England for two months. I stayed with my Aunty on one side of London for one month and stayed with my Grandad on the other side of London for another month.
    Yet I nearly didn’t get in the country because I had to Prove I had money, I had to prove I had somewhere to stay and I had to prove that I had means {ticket} to go home with….and I had to say that I was not working while there. SO if its that hard to visit England, why isn’t the same rules here for those visiting from England. I do not think its right that he is working here for cash, and that he can stay here when his visa has expired!
    Lisa Wood recently posted..Orbost and Bairnside VictoriaMy Profile

7. Seana Smith November 19, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Yes, I used to meet a few Irish illegals, not an easy life for any nationality but when they get deported at least it’s too a safe country. My heart was stopped by the Four Corners program last night, and a murderous rage against vile lying people smugglers is upon me.

Most asylum seekers come by plane, I wish all did, it’s so much safer. And I’m an immigrant here and it was so easy to come… white enough and well educated… not fair.
    Seana Smith recently posted..RedBalloon Manicure and Pedicure At Home – Gifts + Treats For Tired MumsMy Profile

8. Rachael D.F. January 20, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Loving this perspective. A much needed wake up!
    Rachael D.F. recently posted..Packing up resolutions – 5 simple ways to refresh those new year goalsMy Profile

9. Steve April 3, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Interesting perspective on the whole debate. I enjoyed your outlook on it. I think I’m only preaching to the converted, but there was a fabulous show on SBS a few years which deals with asylum seekers and the journey they endure. Very good viewing.
    Steve recently posted..Diving In Cozumel – Everybody Loves Someone That Can Go Down For HoursMy Profile

10. Rosy December 19, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

This story really just points out what is happening out there.It is scary and most people would over look it or not even know it is happening.