So, did we learn anything?

IMG_1762

To go where we’ve never been and learn what we didn’t know we didn’t know

That was one of our goals when we decided to travel.

So, is there anything specific we’ve learnt in our 12 months away from home? I came up with a few things:

1) Its easier when the children don’t help  with dressing, washing up, reading maps and guidebooks, or packing. Which is absolutely NOT THE POINT

Image 2

2)People talk a lot of rot online, you gotta wade through the rubbish about travel with kids. And even reading wonderful writers who paint pictures with fine words is not as fun as going places ourselves

IMG_2614

3) Babies fit in small places and do not require toys. Travelling with a baby is just great.

IMG_5991-1024x708

4) Not knowing what day it is is a lovely feeling, but helpeth not the catching of trains.

IMG_2987

5) Turmeric stains clothes. Its a nice colour, and if you eat a lot of it, all your clothes end up matching.

IMG_6762

6) Mongolian horses have an extra speed: walk, trot, canter, gallop, scuttle!

IMG_6657

7) In India, people don’t say ‘ I don’t know’  We learnt to ask at least six people and take a generous average.

IMG_1392

8) Dirt washes off, wounds heal, sunburn fades, jetlag recuperates but wanderlust just keeps getting more and more intense. Savings behave in a manner that is inversely proportional. Therein lies a problem for all travellers!

Image 3

9) People are the same the world over, they are also very very different. Furthermore, sweeping generalisations are pretty sweeping.

10) Very very few people live here in Australia. Hardly any of us. About as many as two medium sized Chinese  cities (I’d never heard of)  put together. You might call us statistically irrelevant, unless its the swimming at the Commonwealth games. And very few people live LIKE we do here. And very few COULD. And we only CAN because they DON”T.  And the way most people live really hurts, and indeed, so does the way they die.

f6e33f890f73dc83243d9f92010b5681

And I don’t think God is too happy about that and I’m wondering what to do about it.  This is not to say that we are not precious as individuals, no, God loves us enormously. But we Australians are no more important than anyone else.

11) Finally, we learnt that NOT everything is possible, and despite what other people have said, travelling in Asia with Sparky and her wheelchair has not proved that ‘anything is possible’.  Its one of the most nonsensical bits of rot I’ve ever heard, right up there with ‘you can do anything if you try’.  We learnt that WE could do it; no more, no less. And it was MARVELLOUS!

IMG_5418

8 Responses to So, did we learn anything?

1. jacqui October 31, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Great post. One thing I have learned (in our very short time) is that pale coloured clothes are silly. Nappi-san helps. But turmeric coloured clothes would be more practical.

2. Aunty deb November 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Australia is at once a very big and very small place. It is good to remember this

3. Sarah Menogue November 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Wow, I came across your blog when a friend posted it on Facebook! It’s Sarah the conductor of the choir! Your blog and story is absolutely inspirational, I didn’t know the full extent of it, thank you so much for sharing it so beautifully with the world. There are some pretty menial things I freak out about in life sometimes, and reading this inspires me to see them as exciting challenges. Wonderful xx

• Jill November 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Sarah thanks for dropping in!! Chris is loving being back in the choir

4. Seana Smith November 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

So glad to read this… of your lessons and your head-screwed-on approach. People are sold a lot of furphies online.. you can do anything… when we are all doing what we are all doing and maybe it’s OK to be doing that and not always seeking…

And quite agree, with a wince, that we live so well here on the backs of those who don’t… how I loathe the obsession here with buying things cheaply. Rant over.
    Seana Smith recently posted..Novica – Ethical Gift Shopping + $100 GiveawayMy Profile

• Jill November 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

I agree! Rant away!

5. Lisa wood November 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

seems like you all had lots of fun, and yes once you get the travelling bug there is nothing that will stop or slow it down :)
    Lisa wood recently posted..Christmas Tree LightsMy Profile

6. E Wiebe February 23, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

“Babies fit in small places and do not require toys. Travelling with a baby is just great.”
    I sometimes really need this reminder. The husband and I have spent years travelling and living abroad (we carry canadian passports) and are now bringing our first little into the world (t-minus 2 months!) while living in the Philippines. Sometimes the thought (or more often, being told!) that a child ties you down, “good thing you got that travel bug out of your system”, just plain scares me. Thankfully, we serve a God who knows our hearts and has bigger and more beautiful plans that that! Im grateful for your blog and the reminder. Thank you!