This post was written by my biggest boy, Tintin. That’s him on the horse. I’m so proud of his storytelling, and he’d be super chuffed if you commented below, if you enjoy it too. I asked him, ‘What’s different about what we are experiencing here? How would you know if you were living like a Mongolian Nomad?’ Here are his answers:
1. When you wake up in the morning you would see this;
2. When the dogs bark, all the other dogs around join in, and a volley of barks rolls around the hills as they pass on a message to each other.
3. All your furniture is pretty, small and orange.
4. You would hear the kids lighting the fire on a cold morning.
5. You would feel the icy wind as the door flings open.
6. You would eat meat and drink tea for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
7. On a sunny day you would strip off and swim in the freezing cold river. You would last about 10 seconds in there!
8. You would wash your clothes in the river and hang them out to dry on a tree.
9. You would wear your boots and be careful where you stepped because there is horse poo everywhere!
10. You would have arrived on a horse and cart or cow and cart. They can cross fast-flowing rivers better than a landcruiser.
11. You would meet people wearing traditional dress getting their horses ready.
12. You would play with the local kids by using sign language.
13. You would say ‘saa’ and ‘sain ba nuu’ when you meet someone.
14. And you would say ‘mini neggis Tintin’ when you are making a friend.
15. When you are offered a dried fermented milk biscuit you say ‘bayer claa’ but you take one bite and put the rest in your pocket!!
16. You would see lots of hills and beautiful landscape around you which you wouldn’t see in the city. There is lots of grass and black dots far away which are horses, cows and sheep.
17. You would see your ger, a great big white tent made of thick felt and decorated with blue patterns around the bottom.
18. You would dream of the sound of horses galloping, and you wake up and see them there.
19. You would be careful not to leave you socks outside, as the cows get hungry and think your socks are a cafe!!
20. You would see wildflowers of every colour all around the fields.
21. The last thing you would see at night is the stars, and you go inside and blow out your candle.