Uluwatu chill

Funky cafes in Uluwatu play Bob Marley and the staff walk, talk and get organised at about at 3/4 speed. Down here at the southern tip of Bali there’s not much traffic and most of it is scooters with surboard racks ridden by bronzed Australians blokes with bikini clad girls on the back.  Early in the morning, surfers checks out the coast by scooter, and then choose a beach  with the best waves.  Hours later they come in and buy an Uluwatu special ‘peanut butter, banana and chocolate milkshake’  Chris had a quick surf, but skipped the milkshake!

We love rock clambouring, and at low tide we could walk way out on the reefs.

Uluwatu is not really a ‘family destination’. The beaches are surfy not swimmy, and we couldn’t find a family room. Proving that seven people can share three single beds if they’re tired enough.

A day trip to Kuta found us a baby friendly beach.

At the monkey temple, Meena went piratey. These cliffs made me homesick for Western Australia’s south west. I share my Mum’s love of coastal cliffs.

Sparky got jumped on by a cheeky monkey, Baby Boy declared they were dogs. He’s just got the one word for any and every animal, at this very cute stage.

We enjoyed a cold beer overlooking our favourite Uluwatu beach.

We spent a lovely time with my brother and his fiancee and their darling little baby boy, whom we had not met.

We ate sate and sate and sate.

We met traveling friends and ate corn on the beach, talking travel talk while the children reveled in playing in english for a change.

Our girls finally had the ‘bali hair’ they’d been dreaming of.

If I ever wanted to turn my brain down to a low simmer, and competely veg for the rest of my life, I think I’d move to Uluwatu.

But I don’t. We are up for a challenge, so China, here we come!

, , , ,

10 Responses to Uluwatu chill

1. Travel with Bender (Erin) August 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

It was so great meeting you guys in Bali. And Uluwatu was one of our most favourite day trips in our whole stay. Good luck in China!

2. Lisa Wood August 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

WOW – that looks like so much fun! And sounds so nice – the beach looks amazing! Love the girls hair….and the corn looks yummy.
    How amazing that you are now heading to China!
    Lisa Wood recently posted..HelpingMy Profile

3. Jen Tasker August 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

YEAH FOR CHINA!!! Where are you planning to go? If you want any tips (though its been 12 years since I lived there and lots has changed) let me know! If you’re looking for another “rest within travel” place, you can’t pass up Guilin and Yangshuo. Guilin is just gorgeous (the gumdrop mountains on the Li River are amazing) and Yangshuo, an hours bus ride from Guilin, is a backpackers haven which slows the pace, has a zillion day trips (bike, bus, walking) along the Li River; heaps of English and banana pancakes.

4. Maria August 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Definitely go to Guilin and Guangzhou!

Great pictures… I miss you guys! Tell Meena and Sparky their hair looks FANTASTIC!
    Maria recently posted..Is This Real?My Profile

• Jill August 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Ok, anywhere specific?

5. Joanne August 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

That first photo is stunning – the person in the reflection hidden in the shadows; I like the ‘pirate’ one too.

• Jill August 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Hi Joanne, its my favourite too!

6. Jen Tasker August 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

In Shanghai: Yu Yuan Gardens (must eat the dumplings, too yummy), walk the Bund along the Putong River (particularly at morning when everyone is out doing Tai Chi), walk Nanjing Lu just for the experience, Peace Hotel (on Nanjing Lu at the Bund) is one of the oldest colonial hotels in the
    city and quite beautiful, I haven’t been over to Putong as it’s all been built since I lived there!

In Beijing – Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven (and the bird market that is at the Southern End), Gu Gong (Forbidden City), Tiananmen Square (fly a kite), the markets at the South End of Tiananmen great, Xidan area in Beijing is fun to go to, Great Wall – of course (you’re intrepid travelers, so I highly recommend the Simatai part of the Great Wall – hasn’t been restored, you need to take local/public transport, no markets/hawkers, etc). If its still there, the weekend Junk Market (Pan Jiang Yuan) is one of my all-time favourite places to poke around in the world.

In Guilin – the night markets are awesome. Li River tour. Lots of caves around the area. Yangshuo is an hours drive away. Longshan (Dragon Mountains) is an amazing place to go to – you have to travel from Guilin or Yangshuo for several hours by bus, overnight and then you get local transport to Longshan. It is hiking, straight up a mountain trail amongst the terraced rice paddies.

Unfortunately I never got to Yunnan Province, but its supposed to be awesome – totally different as its not Han Chinese that live there.

Suzhou is an hours train ride from Shanghai and is the Garden City – just beautiful

Hangzhou is the City of Lakes and is gorgeous. Both Suzhou and Hangzhou are wonderful breaks from the big cities.

Keep in mind, all of this is information is based on my knowledge from 12 years ago when I lived there. No doubt I wouldn’t even recognize Beijing anymore – and who knows what else!

• Jill August 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Ooooh Jen, thanks so mcuh for all the tips. I’ll go look them up in my book now. How long were you here?

7. Deb @ Bright and Precious August 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Looks very chilled indeed. My mouth is watering over those food photos! Nothing quite like the smell and fragrance and taste of Indo food. I could eat sate for every meal, I think. Roasted corn on the beach also brings back so many memories for me. As kids we used to throw the corn into the sea (hot off the coals) – the water cooled it down and added a salty flavour. Anyway, point is: CHINA! Wow, I didn’t see that coming. You really are up for a challenge, aren’t you?!
    Deb @ Bright and Precious recently posted..The Blossom TreeMy Profile