Phong Nha Caves – the other part of the story

Yesterday I wrote all about the Phong Nha Caves and  the Vietnam/American war, here it is if you missed it.

But the other part of the story is that we had a small victory of our own. My intrepid Mum had joined us a few days earlier, and with such a boost to our adult/child ratio, we attempted CYCLING!!!  The visit to the river in the cave was done by bike, with Sparky and Baby Boy in slings. Wooo Hooo!

It was so great! Of course it was lovely to ride through the rice paddies, past the villages, cows and chickens.  It was sad to see the Buddhist homes on the left, and Catholic homes on the right. It was fun to buy cherry tomatoes by the field they grew in. It was loud when we sheltered from the rain under a bridge with a mob of rowdy (or cheery) school kids. It was lovely when dozens of children rode past us calling out “Hello! Welcome to Vietnam” It was so different to our horrible experiences in the cities.

But most  of all, it was just wonderfully excellent to be able to get out and cycle as a family, for the first time in 9  1/2 years.

Here are a few photos taken along the way, some were taken while riding with one hand and Baby Boy on back, not bad huh?!!

Thank Mum!!

You might like to know that our blog is now only weeks behind, not months. We are catching up! More stories on Vietnam and Indonesia are on their way!

In other exciting news, our hilarious friend Barbara interviewed Chris on her blog The Dropout Diaries. Check it out here.

If you want to receive blog posts by email, enter your email address up there in the top right hand corner.

Thanks so much for reading, and for all the lovely comments.

Jill

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Phong Nha Caves – the other part of the story

1. Kim July 10, 2012 at 4:51 am #

Your photos are beautiful! I really enjoy reading your blog and following along on your adventures. I think your family travels are fantastic and are helping keep me motivated to take my only family on an epic adventure. Thank you for sharing and happy travels from Kim in Wisconsin.

2. Lisa Wood July 10, 2012 at 10:54 am #

WOW that is such a great way to see a place – riding on bikes! love that you were all able to get out as a family and experience that! Cant remember the last time I rode a bike :)
    Lisa Wood recently posted..Capture The Colour :: Nearly All The Colours of a RainbowMy Profile

3. Heather July 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Amazing pics! Vibrant colors and interesting subject matter. Glad for you that the family got to experience biking together. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Heather recently posted..Screen timeMy Profile

4. Karminn July 11, 2012 at 10:14 am #

I just love those photos you have here and I can say that I really want to have a vacation right now together with my husband.. Great shots!
    Karminn recently posted..Sharepoint HostingMy Profile

• Jill July 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks Karminn, where do you want to go?

5. jan July 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Good to hear your Intrepid Mum is with you. Marty and I always try to hire bikes or do a bicycle tour. You can see so much more that way, and with the wind in your hair!
    jan recently posted..Singapore, Safari Suits, Pith Helmets and PumasMy Profile

• Jill July 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Hi Jan
      thanks for visiting!
      Yes, the cycling was great, we’d love to be able to do more. Our five year old could ride if there was a bike small enough, then we could do it, even without my mum, as it is we need three adults. But yes, so fun.

6. Bron July 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Hooray for a ratio boost! I would love that right about now! Thrilled you got to adventure cycle! Jill your photos are seriously amazing!
    Bron recently posted..Dinner at DASH Restaurant.My Profile

7. Deb @ Bright and Precious July 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Wow – that scenery is stunning. Your photography is awesome – especially since it was one-handed! How fabulous that your mum got to join you (and even up that ratio!). Bike riding sounds like a perfect way to enjoy the country. I continue to enjoy your life vicariously. I think you lots! xx
    Deb @ Bright and Precious recently posted..The HillMy Profile

8. Deb @ Bright and Precious July 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Ahem.. I think *OF* you lots. :)
    Deb @ Bright and Precious recently posted..The HillMy Profile

9. Jennifer Pearce July 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

We are getting excited and planning our trip to Vietnam now. :) One question, where did you do this cycling? We’d like to do the same thing.

• Jill July 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Hi Jenn!
      We did it from the Phong Nha Caves Farmstay http://phong-nha-cave.com/
      Ben can organise bike hire and give you a map and everything, We also did the other ave tour with them.
      The cycling was cool! You guys will love it.

• Jennifer Pearce July 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm #