The face of Cambodia

The face of Bayon is the most famous face in Cambodia. And there are sixty four of them on the site and thousands more depicted all over the country, on walls, paintings, and every hotel and restaurant. No one really knows whose face it is. It’s a mystery!

Below are some other  Cambodian  faces, but first, some unconnected thoughts on face.
  • When we travel, we know we only search the surface of a country and it’s people. Do we see it’s face?  Is it smiling? Is it smiling for us? If it wasn’t smiling would we care why?
  • Do people “put on a good face”?
  • What does a face tell about a person?
  • “You can order one coffee and sit there all day using the free wifi”, one expat told me.”They won’t ask you to leave, that would be losing face.”
  • Do I have a smiling face as I wander about? Sometimes a smiling face is ALL I’ve got, when the bits of language evaporate from my working memory.
  • “These glasses fit your face. It’s because of your long nose.” said the guy selling sunnies.  Gosh. Thanks
  • “I can’t climb another temple, I simply can’t face those steps.” said a large lady at Angkor
  • And how would these people feel about their face being thrust onto this blog and the Internet. That’s a good question,  they gave permission to have their pictures taken,  which is a good start. Beyond that, who  knows.

What do you think? What’s in a face?

, , ,

8 Responses to The face of Cambodia

1. Bron May 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

I honestly find these photos amazing. They are travel magazine, lonely planet etc worthy! Just beautiful, i love a portrait and i can only begin to imagine the stories behind those faces. X where are you guys planning to be in July?:)

2. Vicki May 23, 2012 at 7:11 am #

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I hope you are planning a book around these photos and blogs – I would buy it in a heartbeat.

3. Bampa May 23, 2012 at 11:21 am #

So would I, and send it to friends and relatives all over Canada. So please write the book.

4. Tracey Mansted May 23, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Great pics!
    What camera do you use Jill?
    I am very inspired by your blog – we are increasingly becoming Europe travel obsessed here and yet still have 16 months to go : ) so I am really enjoying glimpses into your family living it, not just planning it!
    Cheers,
    Tracey Mansted recently posted..Change in plans – history speeds up!My Profile

• Jill May 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Wow, thanks everyone for your enouraging comments. All photo credit goes to Chris, I’ll let him reply about the camera. I dont even know what half the buttons do!!

Tracey- how are you going to travel? in a motorhome? Sounds very exciting.

• Jill May 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Tracey, (Chris here)
      thanks for your feedback. We use a Canon 7D following the lead from many bloggers and travel photographers. It is easy to use, produces great picture quality and the digital video opens doors which I’ve yet to but keen to open. I’m just starting out with photo editing, using iphoto at the moment but hoping to acquire lightroom at some point.
      Cheers, Chris

5. Tracey Mansted May 24, 2012 at 6:06 am #

Well, we are still sorting out the mode of travel – at this stage a mix of train/public transport and rental car. Looked into motorhome prices…big $$s and hard to park let alone fit the 6″4″ husband!

Will you go public transport the whole trip?
    I loved the photo of Sparky’s “trailer” hooked to the bus : )
    Tracey Mansted recently posted..Change in plans – history speeds up!My Profile