Preparing the baby for travel

“Mum, Mum, Baby Boy has teeth!!”

“Really? How do you know?”

“I put my toe in his mouth, and he bit it”

Knowing the likely state of Snowy’s toe, Baby Boy’s immune system is getting a fine work out, in preparation for travel.

Apart from passports and immunisations, there are a few other things we are doing to get him and ourselves ready for the transition

• We bought an Ergo Baby carrier and I’m already loving it, it’s so light and he feels so light in it. Nearly all the weight falls on my hips, and not my shoulders. I have had no back pain at all from using it, and he’s so happy to ride around with a great view and milk on tap. And Meenabadeena likes it too, although I’m not planning on letting such a petite 8 year old carry this heavy boy for too long.

• We are moving him from his baby cradle to a peapod travel bed . So far he loves it and it takes about 7 seconds to put up.
  • We are training him to eat everything and anything, mashed with a fork but not pureed, and straight from our own plates. How do you think he’s doing?

Mushy avocado from Mummy’s fingers- Yum!

Dim Sum? Yes please!
In fact, why don’t I just do it myself?

• The most important thing to prepare Baby Boy for travel is for him to be sustainably breastfed.  Breastmilk is nutritious and delicious food available night and day, always at the right temperature, with a side serve of cuddles and kisses on top. I’m really happy he’s a good little drinker. And he is very happy too.

I’m not suggesting travel with a baby will be a walk in the park, but I do think he’ll be one of the easiest children to manage and care for. That is, until he becomes a toddler! And even if he doesn’t remember the sights, I hope having his Mum and Dad around all the time will give him a secure grounding from which to grow and thrive.

Have we forgotten anything?

8 Responses to Preparing the baby for travel

1. Amy October 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

We’ve got a hug-a-bub for the baby…well, three year old. He’s still a baby, right?

By the way, you look way too young to have five kids. What’s your secret?

2. admin October 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

Well, even three year olds need carrying from time to time!

Hmmm, I don’t feel so young! I’ve just made it to the end of two weeks school holidays and I’m really tired. I love having all my kids at home, just not without Daddy being there too.

3. Paul Thomas November 11, 2011 at 6:26 am #

I think this is mind blowing fantastic. Just married and having studied the Japanese economy for 2 years and language for one – hopeless though – we decided on a 3 month break or more by travelling through s.e. asia.

It was the best thing we ever did – but not with a whole adorable family.

God will be with you and you will never forget this momentous journey and you will be blessed in ways for scores of years to come in ways unimagineable.

4. A King's Life December 6, 2011 at 3:26 am #

It’s amazing at how little babies really need. We had our second child in Costa Rica and noticed that babies just need a little love, warmth and milk.

I’m excited for your family…it’s an amazing experience.

We lived in Costa Rica for 1 1/2 years and are currently in Belize. We’ll be in Asia within the year…hope to meet you one day :)

5. lulu January 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

tremendous. you’re living out my dreams of yesteryear! our son with angelman syndrome will be 22 this year.
    maybe one day we’ll take off still!
    good luck and blessings to all of you. looking forward to reading more.
    =)

6. Materace January 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

very well written:) My rating 5 / 5 !!!

7. Pauline Halupka January 26, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Hi Jill. Am loving reading all your posts and a bit envious that you are able to snub support and services and do it yourselves. Sparky and your other children are very fortunate to have such amazing parents who are willing to do so much for them. They will learn so much on this trip and hopefully come back home with a renewed love for each other. I wish you gods blessing on your beautiful family. Pauline

• Jill January 28, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Hi Pauline. I guess we are snubbing services a bit. In part, it feels like I’m returning the snub we got from them.
      But you are right, it is an enormous priveledge to be able to travel. And it won’t last forever. There will come a time when we need to live in a modified house with a hoist and a big white van. But I refuse to do it until we have to.
      The children are learning so much. I knew school was over rated!!